[PLUG] A Simple Question [apt-get]

Cliff Wells logiplex at qwest.net
Wed Aug 20 12:35:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 12:23, Cory Bertsch wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 13:18, Cliff Wells wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 11:55, Bruce Kingsland wrote:
> > > Cory Bertsch's Log: StarDate 0817.1609:
> > >

> > > Hold it... I thot apt-get was a debian tool. How does it end up in redhat?
> >
> > It was ported by Connectiva (IIRC).
> >
> > Take a look at http://freshrpms.net for apt rpms and more info.
>
> Apt-get works quite well in Redhat. It makes it really easy to get some
> programs that Redhat doesn't install by default. Synaptic (gui front end
> to apt-get) has also been ported and works well too.
>
> Be aware that Apt-get for RH and Ximian desktop can not both be
> installed on the same computer. Ximian has a whole bunch of RPM
> conflicts that break apt-get.

Actually, this isn't true.  I've used apt + Ximian on both RH 8 and 9.
The worst I've had happen is the occasional unnecessary update.  I've
read warnings about doing so, but have yet to experience breakage.  The
only problem I've experienced to date is combining rawhide with Ximian.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)