[PLUG] Instal info request

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 20 14:54:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Prutzer wrote:

> I have downloaded and copied onto the hard drive the two files (one is
> a gz the other a rpm.bin) that are the software releases.
> I'd like to be able to have several users logon and use them from
> their native home directories.
> How or what do I do, and to what directories and paths do I install so
> that users from across the network can access these programs?

Harry,

  There are two solutions, and they depend on your hardware setup. Both make
use of /usr/local and/or (that's not a directory path) /opt.

First, consider the single machine with multiple users. Install OO.o into
/usr/local using the network install option. Then, either log into each
user's account or have him/her do so and run the user install. The OO.o Web
site has explicit instructions. This places a directory, OpenOffice_1.0.3 in
each user's $HOME directory. Install the java sdk in /usr/local, too. Enjoy.

Second, consider the SOHO network. While you _could_ export /usr/local, it
may cause gas when you upgrade because there may well be applications that
are truly local to a particular machine. So, on your "server", create an
exportable partition and call it by the accepted name of /opt (but you can
use whatever you wish). Install both OO.o and jsdk in /opt.

On your server, in /etc/exports enter a line such as:
/opt    192.168.55.0/24(rw)
using your local IP address, of course. This makes the filesystem visible to
every host on the network and it does so in read/write mode.

On each client machine, in /etc/hosts/ you have all of your machines
specified by name and IP address. So, in each machine's /etc/fstab, give it
a mount point for the exported filesystem. For example,

caddis:/usr2            /mnt/usr2       nfs     rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

Then run the mount command and the exported file system is visible on the
other machine as if it was a local filesystem.

For your reading pleasure, allow me to recommend the NAG (Network
Administrators Guide).

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President