[PLUG] Oregon Open Source bill 941 hearing summary

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 22 17:33:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, John Todd wrote:

> Hopefully this experience will be material for future debates.  Is
> anyone aware of a nationwide mailing list or repository for activists
> pushing for this type of legislation?

  I have been involved in the lobbying for a few bills over the past decade
and I've provided testimony at both Senate and House hearings. While my role
has been limited to providing scientific expertise on the issues, I know of
the work done by the professionals in support of or opposition to a
particular bill.

  A very important point was made to me as I sat waiting to testify at a
Senate committee this past April. One of the lobbiests leaned over to me and
said, "Most people don't realize that the real work is all done in advance,
before the hearings are held. Decisions are made before the hearing and the
latter are just for show."

  I know this well from the idea that I had before the 2001 legislative
session. I -- and others -- spoke with legislators from both sides of the
Capitol and from both parties until we had a couple of solid sponsors and a
lot of support lined up. By the time of the hearings the votes were counted
and there were enough to pass the bill into law. It became law July 1, 2001.
To my great surprise, at least one state agency has entered rule making to
implement the statute -- without being sued and forced to do so!

  My point is to take the lessons learned this session and, if you are
convinced that the ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes) need to explicitly include
this provision, wait a few weeks after the session ends then start building
support for the 2005 session. You have two years to make a compelling case
that legislators can support with confidence.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/