[PLUG] Oregon Open Source bill 941 hearing summary

Ken Barber mountainman at peak.org
Sat Aug 23 18:50:03 UTC 2003

On Saturday 23 August 2003 11:28, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > On Friday 22 August 2003 21:21, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > Typical republican.  When is Minnis up for re-election?
> > > She's now my rep, I want her gone.
>
> And what's the alternative?

There are now two fairly active "third parties" in Oregon:  the
Greens (technically the Pacific Green Party) and the
Libertarians.

The latter is widely perceived to have kept the R's out of the
Governor's Mansion in last year's election, and they further
claim to have swung a number of state Senate races (four, if I
remember correctly) last year -- shifting control of the state
Senate from Republicans to a fifty-fifty split.

And it was the Greens, of course, who cost Al Gore the White House
in 2000.  Yeah, complain about W all you want, but if Ralph Nader
hadn't been in the race W wouldn't have stood a chance!

So you might have three or four choices on your State
Representative ballot next year instead of the traditional two.

Whether any of them run candidates in Minnis' district is anyone's
guess, but after this week's tax increase I'll bet the L's are
looking for credible candidates to run against all sorts of GOP
incumbents next year.

> Just look at Kulongoski's pro abortion stand which is so

I really wish we could avoid discussing abortion on this list.

Ken
--
"No-one has ever called me a cool dude. I'm somewhere between geek
and normal."