[PLUG] The house bill, a possible problem...

Cliff Wells logiplex at qwest.net
Mon Aug 25 13:17:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 12:59, david pool wrote:
> Cliff Wells wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 12:43, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> >
> >>Where are all the Microsoft techies going to go?  Employed people are
> >>constituents, especially in a flat economy.  Linux works so well that
> >>it could reduce the number of jobs needed at a time when already there
> >>aren't enough jobs in the high tech sector.
> >

> > I think this is a bogus argument.  I can tell you what people will do:
> > they'll start *adding* capabilities to systems rather than spending all
> > their time keeping a b0rken system limping along.
>
> Sounds like Cliff is voting with Carla and I on this one.

Absolutely.  The more likely scenario, IMO, is that the reduced IT
spending on software would increase the amount available to hire staff.

I'll concede that switching to OSS might impact jobs in Washington.
However, we are concerned about jobs in *Oregon* and I suggest using
some of the present IT budget to hire *Oregonians* rather than mailing
the check off to Redmond.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer