[PLUG] The lion in Salem

david pool dpool at hevanet.com
Tue Aug 26 08:09:01 UTC 2003

Pluggers,

After bcc:ing that last e-mail to the Speaker, I got her auto-responder
sending the e-mail you see below. I'm asking for your assistance in
analyzing the headers.

Now, I'm using Mozilla on a RH 8.0 box, so I'm guessing the "Mozilla"
lines below refer to me in some way.

Equally, the "Microsoft Exchange" bits are probably from the State's
end. Am I reading it right to see "lion" as the name of the server that
is doing the auto-responding?

I'm curious about how much of the state's e-mail is being served off of
"lion". Also, is that machine doing anything else (serving up web-pages
with IIS perhaps)? Finally, is "lion" fully patched?

I need to be explicit here. I am not asking anyone to crack this server,
just to give opinions on whether it is secure (ok it's running windows,
but as secure as is possible under windows). Also, frankly anything else
anyone can legally reveal about the server would be interesting.
Obviously, if they are running un-registered proprietary software, well,
that would be worth mentioning.

Thanks for your assistance,

ps My understanding of the PLUG defaults are that if there is more than
one recipient, the e-mail gets set aside for moderator approval. I am
avoiding that delay by using bcc to send to Speaker Minnis on this
e-mail and the last.

[Fwd: Thank you for your email]