[PLUG] /etc/fstab

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Aug 26 09:37:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Marvin J. Kosmal wrote:

> I though with user ....  user was the only one <execpt root> allowed
> to umount once user mounted system
>
> With users anyone <any user> could umount a mounted system??????

This is correct; 'user' and 'users' have slightly different meanings.
Both allow a non-root user to mount the filesystem, while the former
restricts unmounting privilege to the user who issued the original
mount command.

See also the 'owner' option, which allows a non-root user to mount a
filesystem only if that non-root user is the owner of the /dev entry
that hosts the filesystem.

> Marvin J. Kosmal
> Linux Activist
> Registered User # 88512