[PLUG] Hot Geek Girls

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Tue Aug 26 13:15:03 UTC 2003

> At that point, I got distracted by a really cute Asian lady who
> works for Sun Microsystems who wanted to talk to me and take me
> to her booth.  I didn't realize until much later that she was
> probably just a Booth Babe hired for the show, and not one of the
> rare & elusive Hot Geek Girls that we males all dream about.

On this point, I want to rant for a moment.

All males may dream about hot geek girls, but all the geeks in Portland
seem to be absolutely incapable of treating one right. I'm lucky enough
to occasionally accompany a hot geek girl to various geeky events, and I
have yet, in Portland or the surrounding area, been lucky enough to find
a geek event where the geeks didn't assume that every girl was dragged
along by the guy who'd come with her. My geeky friend has been asked on
nearly every occasion "who'd you come with?" in an insulting manner that
implied she couldn't possibly know enough to come on her own.

So guys, get a clue and don't assume a girl don't know shit. You don't
have to talk to her about geek stuff immediately, but "who'd you come
with" or any such comment at a geek setting to a girl is a good way to
get your ass kicked.

/end rant/

Jeff