[PLUG] Slackware session manager: problem solved

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 26 17:18:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Jeff Schwaber wrote:

> I do not pretend to know how the installation could have been fixed, but
> I want to note that if you, or anyone else, does get gdm working, it
> does in fact support user shutdown, though not by default. In fact, gdm
> comes with a very sexy new look. It's not the default--you have to turn
> it on in gdmconfig, which must be run as root, yet is an X program, but
> with gdmconfig there are a lot of cool options including user shutdown
> and themes.

Jeff,

  Interestingly enough, kdm has user shutdown as a default option. The main
workstations/servers boot into console mode -- and so has my notebook over
the years -- so this is the first time I've configured a system to boot into
runlevel 4 (or 5 if it's on Red Hat). I find it more restrictive than
manually running 'startx' when I want it, but it's easier for her and
certainly easier to properly shut down the system when she's done.

Thanks for the input,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)