[PLUG] Three Linux systems, one boot partition...

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Tue Aug 26 22:59:01 UTC 2003

I thought I could just uninstall lilo from one
of the Linux systems I was working on.
Unfortunately, it screwed things up even though
I tarred up boot before removal and restored it
after.  I guess I should have chrooted into the
Linux system responsible for lilo to rerun lilo.
My last run of lilo must have been from the Linux
system I was taking it off of instead of another
one so that lilo couldn't be found.  I'd like to
uninstall lilo from all but one system.

The module-info files under /boot, what are they
for?  Is there any reason to keep vmlinux-x.y.z
around when you need the compressed version to boot?

I guess the leftover grub directory even though grub
is uninstalled is another bug.  I just removed it.
If you uninstall the files of an rpm manually that
is still installed can you safely remove that rpm as
well?

How do rpms behave in cases of overlap?  I installed
to my boot partition from all three systems without
reformatting it since it's shared.  My two Redhat 7.3
systems are both using the original kernel.  I have
yet to get a custom kernel for Redhat 7.3 working
right, but at least I got one to boot finally.  I
discovered that I had to use absolute device paths
for custom kernels in lilo.conf even though the
original kernel uses some kind of indirect label.

     --  Michael