[PLUG] Does removing cyrus-sasl break evolution?

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Wed Aug 27 04:17:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 03:48, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > However! If a package was compiled against a set of libraries, it may
> > well not run if those libraries are gone. You'd have to recompile or
> > fine a set of rpms that weren't dependent on those packages.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Surprisingly removing cyrus-sasl, cyrus-sasl-plain, openldap, or
> cyrus-sasl-md5 from Redhat 7.3 stock breaks opening the evolution
> database.  I wonder what the security risk of sasl and openldap
> client is?

doubt cyrus-sasl is a security risk at all, though it's a good question
why evolution needs it. What version of evolution?

As for the openldap client, it's a client. It might allow local root
exploits, though I doubt that, but it's very unlikely to offer remote
exploits.

I'd compile it myself. It'd be easier. Get a source rpm and convert it
to an rpm. Get a .deb and convert it to an rpm.

Jeff