[PLUG] Using a new domain name

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 27 07:32:02 UTC 2003

  I guess it's time for me to finally set up tinydns here, and I've started
reading the docs before doing anything. In the meantime, I have a couple of
questions I hope you folks will either answer for me or you will provide me
with pointers to reading material with the answers.

  There are a couple of domain names I've registered with godaddy.com. Now I
want to make them visible to the world, and point the domain names to
specific IP addresses. (In one case, the IP address will be here when I set
up dbjdns' components I need. In the other case, I have two IP addresses for
name servers elsewhere.)

  What is the procedure for doing this? Does the domain registrar need to do
anything? After I get the name server running properly here I'll also want
to move the business domain name to here from my ISP, but I suppose that I
ask them to change their record at that time.

  The ORA book focuses on bind and named. Other than the on-line Web pages
for tinydns I don't know of other reading materials.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)