[PLUG] Using a new domain name

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Aug 27 07:46:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   There are a couple of domain names I've registered with
> godaddy.com. Now I want to make them visible to the world, and point
> the domain names to specific IP addresses...
>
>   What is the procedure for doing this? Does the domain registrar
> need to do anything?

As long as the domain registrar has the correct IP addresses for your
name server(s), then you can keep the registrar completely out of the
loop. You'll need to work with godaddy only if you need to update the
addresses for your NS records.

> After I get the name server running properly here I'll also want to
> move the business domain name to here from my ISP, but I suppose
> that I ask them to change their record at that time.

I suppose you'll want to initiate any DNS discussion with your ISP as
soon as possible, even if you won't be doing the actual move for a
while. That'll give you and them both time to ponder any potential
gotchas (and fees) that may arise. But this is all just common sense,
so I'm probably just telling you what you already know. :-)

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>