[PLUG] Hot Geek Girls

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Aug 27 10:05:03 UTC 2003

Okay, here's a bit of advice from someone who's married to
a hot geek girl -- or a rant, take your pick.

The intersection of the set of attractive women, & the set
of intelligent women is not a null set, but it is small. And
not all of those women in this subset would rather spend
their Friday nights hacking $SOFTWARE over any other activity.

And I'm sorry, but the woman with the looks of a porn star
& can write code that gets accepted into the Linux kernel on
the first try just doesn't exist -- except for in some of
our fantasies.

My advice is look for a partner with brains: there's a lot
of intelligent people out there who are actually a lot more
attractive than she/he thinks, & would blossom if given
some reassurance. And if they have brains, they probably
will have some skill with computers. (Although I've seen
a lot of anecdotal evidence that this is not always the case.)

My wife works as an accountant, but she's not dumb: she
passed the CPA test on her first try. (Only 15% of people
manage to pull that off.) And we both have our own computers.
I also have a cousin who I would consider a ``hot geek girl"
who started out with a degree in graphic design, got a job
designing fonts for Adobe, & parlayed it into a career in
Silicon Valley. (And is working on a router project at Nortel
today, despite the economy & massive exporting of tech jobs.)
And before you guys start asking for her email address,
she's married with grown children. ;-)

And besides, it's a proven fact that even in successful
relationships/marriages there are fights. Do you really want
to spend the night on the couch over a disagreement about
vi vs. emacs or Linux vs. FreeBSD?

Geoff