[PLUG] FW: Re: The lion in Salem

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Aug 27 10:05:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Wil Cooley wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 21:02, Erik wrote:
>
> > Lion is the "front door" for all email services in the State.  I think
> > all State email other than maybe ODOT goes through Lion.  The reason
> > LION exists as near as I can tell is to keep Windows Wussy
> > Administrators from sticking their unpatched Exchange 5.5 email
> > servers out on the web and wondering why they get smacked  :>
>
> What's interesting is that the Received: headers indicate it passed
> directly from lion to the Hevanet server, but the X-MimeOLE: header
> indicates an Exchange server.

nmap (endorsed by ``The Matrix Reloaded") shows some interesting open
ports on Lion. I'm not an expert by any means with nmap, but from
what I saw I couldn't be sure if it was a *nix or a Windoze box --
& there's a few ports I would have closed in either case. (And improved
performance by removing X from the machine!)

> > (For the Record, one might refer to me as a Windows Wussy, but I'd
> > argue that I'm a fairly successful Windows Network & System
> > Administrator.  Besides, If you want to defeat the empire you have to
> > know how to hack the deathstar…   )
>
> And you still post HTML messages to mailing lists... ;)

I have to speak up for Erik here. I've known him for several years,
& he's a sharp guy. Unfortunately in the Windoze world you are forced
to work with Outbreak as your default email client, & our friends
from Redmond make it hard to turn off simple things like HTML &
top posting. (I still haven't figured out the trick to the last
one.)

Geoff