[PLUG] Re: Jobs to Canada

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Wed Aug 27 21:55:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:54:46AM -0700, Geoff Burling wrote:
> > (And is working on a router project at Nortel
> > today, despite the economy & massive exporting of tech jobs.)
> > And before you guys start asking for her email address,
> > she's married with grown children. ;-)
>
> At least she's working for a company that's doing it's worst in the US
> and will sponsor you into their home country, Canada.  I hear that two
> thirds of the tech jobs in the US have moved to Canada, possibly never
> to return to the US, with smaller numbers to India (Sources: CBC,
> FuckedCompany, The Oregonian).

It might feel like 2/3 of the tech jobs in the US have been moved to
Canada, but I really doubt that it's anywhere near that many (I'd be
really surprised if even 5% have been moved there).  Most
outsourcing is still going to India.  Canada is just now becoming an
outsourcing destination because the Canadian government is offering incentives
for hiring tech workers (so I hear),  something that the US should probably
consider, but most likely won't till it's too late.  And this Canadian
move is mostly to try to perserve their tech jobs because the government
there is afraid of the longterm effects of outsourcing tech jobs to India
(can't remember where I read this, but it's been in the last few weeks).
In the long term, though, even with the incentives, Canadian labor will
still be several times more expensive than labor in India or China.

BTW: Did you know that until about a week ago, whenever Intel hired an
employee to work in any of their Washington County facilities that the
company had to pay the county $1000/new hire!  They finally dropped this
ridiculous 'employment tax' a week or two ago.  It certainly took the
county long enough to come to their senses and realize that "gee, maybe
we shouldn't penalize companies for hiring people now that the economy is
in the dumpster".  Talk about encouraging oursourcing!

Phil