[PLUG] Gentoo 2.6 Kernel

Cory Bertsch pi at hiddenspiral.net
Wed Aug 27 22:10:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 21:36, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 20:30, Cory Bertsch wrote:
> > Bringing us back to Linux related topics (no more Geek girls). Has
> > anyone tried installing the 2.6 kernels under Gentoo? If so, what sort
> > of success have you had with the low latency stuff?
>
> It's really pretty easy to get it going.

It looked like it, the Gentoo forums have a few posts on how to get it
working.

> emerge module-init-tools sets things up so you can use the module tools
> with both 2.6 and 2.4 ... I don't know if they modify the path depending
> on the version you boot up with, rename files back and forth, or what...
> but it works.  :-)

Yeah, that tool looks very slick.

> modules got some new names, my wireless NIC doesn't have driver support
> yet (well... it does... they just won't compile) ....
>
> Oh, and it's the fastest damned kernel I've seen yet.  I don't know
> *how* they did it, but I am definitely seeing an increase in speed.
>
> ACPI, cpufreq, and low latency stuff are all working as designed.  With
> cpufreq working, my battery now lasts 30 minutes longer in Linux than it
> does in Windoze.

Well it sure sounds like it may be worth testing.

> I kinda like the new sysfs interface, too... it's decent.
>
> Make sure you enable PTYs when you build it... there are a bunch of
> gotcha's in the kernel config you need to be aware of (google around).
>
> If you have an nvidia video card/chip... just emerge the latest nvidia
> drivers and the proper patches will be applied automagically.

I do have an nvidia card, but I don't use 3D on it anymore. Does the
'nv' driver work just as well for 2D or should I install it?

> Overall, I really like it.  :-)

Woo hoo! I'll give it a shot then. I've been running Gentoo for about a
month now and thus far I really like it. I may switch my Redhat box over
to Gentoo as well.

-Cory