[PLUG] debian and kernel2.6 test

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Thu Aug 28 03:20:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 02:50, Jeff Schwaber wrote:

> Checking dmesg, I don't find any obvious errors, though it says it's
> using ACPI, and my last kernel tends to say something along the lines of
> "detecting dell, broken ACPI, turning off and using emulation."

Okay, so I've become dyslexic recently. My dell has a broken APIC, not
ACPI. That's one problem replaced.

> It also says it's using video mode 317. I've been using 791 for a while
> for no apparent reason than that it was in a lilo.conf I found and it
> worked and I left it.

yeah, no other kernel notes its video mode, and the 791 actually has
been commented out for a little while, so that might be it. I'll have to
look into what it should be.

In addition I noticed that usb-uhci isn't loaded in 2.6, although
there's no error about it in dmesg. I wonder if it's been replaced with
something else. Also, my 2.4 dmesg shows a recognition of my mouse,
specifically, as input0, and my 2.6 shows nothing of the kind. It's
still odd that my ps2 mouse doesn't work, as that's a standard device.

While under 2.6, I tried less -f /dev/psaux and less -f /dev/input/mice
and got nothing out of either of them.

Also...having just gone from another kernel to a stock debian kernel
image, does anyone know how to get the penguin back at the top of the
bootup messages. =) I miss him.

Jeff