[PLUG] debian and kernel2.6 test

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Thu Aug 28 03:44:02 UTC 2003

> yeah, no other kernel notes its video mode, and the 791 actually has
> been commented out for a little while, so that might be it. I'll have to
> look into what it should be.

Okay, so this was a big part of it. I got the 791 from Knoppix, and with
the Knoppix kernel it looks really nice, but with the debian 2.6 kernel
it breaks it, and with debian's 2.4 kernel it ignores it and looks
awful. mode = ask, extended, ext, normal. ALl of them look awful that
I've seen, and I don't know how to get that nice small, but easily
readable text...actually, I think it was just small and not monospaced.
Not sure. If anyone has a nice mode for bootup, let me know.

> In addition I noticed that usb-uhci isn't loaded in 2.6, although
> there's no error about it in dmesg. I wonder if it's been replaced with
> something else. Also, my 2.4 dmesg shows a recognition of my mouse,
> specifically, as input0, and my 2.6 shows nothing of the kind. It's
> still odd that my ps2 mouse doesn't work, as that's a standard device.

And this was a module name change, under 2.6 it's uhci-hcd, why, I do
not know. But the ps/2 mouse still does not work, which is most odd.

However, I am sending this to you under Linux 2.6.0 test 2, and let me
assure you all, it seems VERY fast. I'm hoping the reports for
OpenOffice.org 1.1 and GNOME 2.4 being significantly faster as well are
true, because if they are, I will be very very happy.

Jeff