[PLUG] Mount Question

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Aug 28 06:17:02 UTC 2003

On 27 Aug 2003, Robbert van Andel wrote:

> When I try to mount my firewire drive I get the following error
> mount: only root can mount /dev/sda1 on /mnt/firedrive
>
> I don't have any trouble mounting my zip drive.
>
> Here is the contents of /etc/fstab
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> 0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> 0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/hdb2               swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> /dev/hdd4               /mnt/zip                auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/sda1               /mnt/firedrive          vfat
> noauto,owner,kuzu       0 0

Sorry to take so long in responding; we're all too busy arguing
over women & jobs here. ;-)

If this is an *exact* transcription of your /etc/fstab file, I suspect
part of the trouble is that you've misspelled ``kudzu" on that line. I'd
also doublecheck the spelling of your mountpoint: you've called it
both ``firewire" & ``firedrive" in this email.

Otherwise, based at my own /etc/fstab file, try changing ``owner" to
``users". That's solved the problem for me in the past. And make sure
that the mountpoint has the correct permissions & ownerships.

Geoff