[PLUG] I've got it installed . Now....

Prutzer techmage at aracnet.com
Thu Aug 28 19:58:01 UTC 2003

Hi All,
It's been a busy week here. I've got Java sdk installed, got Apache
installed, got Samba installed, got Open Office Installed.

Sort of.

I unpacked them, but now how and where do I put them into the PATH so
that I can use them? What files need to have PATH changed so that I
can use them? Is there a particular file where I should load some kind
of pointer( I loaded a couple of my scripts in the /bin and am able to
use them globally) ?
The files are there and depending on where I am when I run the test
scripts, they test as being installed. But if I'm in my home
directory, I can type JAVA and nothing happens, I can type OPENOFFICE
and nothing happens I can use Galeon to locate and even open Apache
html and view, but How do I get this all to work like I know it
should?

I have the following reading materials at hand:
O'Rielly  "Using Samba"
Apache Server for dummies
Java 2
Perl(all of the O'reilly Blue series)
Redhat Admin books, Unix admin, Unix in Plain english,essential system
admin..... Just tons of available stuff, but not a clue to where to
point my eyes and begin.

I've even been online trying to find out where I need to go.
So far, I'm sort of stumbling blind.

I think the PATH thing is what's stopping me. Just unsure of the next
step.

So, if you can see where to point me, let me know.
Or if you know of a better way than what I'm doing, okay.

I got LPD errors too, but I think I know why that is and am putting
that off for now.

thanking you in advance,
Harry Howard

p.s. Anyone want to sell their copy of Ed's "Linux Networking" book
and LiveCd?

Dont immanentize the eschaton