[PLUG] Re: Jobs to Canada

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Aug 29 10:41:02 UTC 2003

Paul Johnson wrote:

> Actually, the money's not that bad.  There's very few places in the
> world that costs as much as it does in the US to live.  If I had the
> same job in Canada for the same pay I do now converted into the coin
> of the realm, I would live like a god compared to what I do now.

That's not what I understand. I have several friends that live in
Canada, and one friend that used to be an American, but emigrated to
Canada in 1997 (for love).

Minimum wage is currently $6.85
(http://www.cbsc.org/ontario/english/search/display.cfm?Code=8042&coll=ON_PROVBIS_E)
per hour in Canada, the lowest tax bracket in BC is 22.05%. The highest
43.70%. They have deductions, but none of that is refundable. Unlike the
US, if you end up below zero (i.e., your credits exceed what you owe)
you can only get back what you actually overpaid. (Reference:
http://www.taxtips.ca/tax_rates.htm)

Then, on top of that, each dollar is only worth 72 cents US. Now,
explain to me why, if cost of living in the US is higher, why so many
Canadians are coming to the US to do much of their major shopping? This
was the practice 20 years ago, and seems to still be the practice today.

Gasoline in Victoria was averaging 89.8 cent Canadian per *LITER*. ~3.8
liters per gallon. 89.8 X 3.8 = $3.412 per gallon, Canadian, or $2.46
gallon, US. Looks a little worse. In Vancouver, BC, it's 91.9 cents per
liter.

--
Russ Johnson
Stargate Online