[PLUG] The lion in Salem

chaos at gnutech.com chaos at gnutech.com
Fri Aug 29 16:24:02 UTC 2003

AthlonRob wrote:

>To make the comparison of somebody on the street 'nmap'ing your house...
they don't walk >past it, taking two looks at it.

>They drive up to the house and try the garage door.  Then they go around
the house,
>checking every door and every window to see if any are open.
>They then gather as much information through the windows and doors, and how
they do or do >not open, and try and figure out what model the house is, who
the builder was, who drew
>up the blueprints, etc.  That information could then be looked up and any
possible
>security holes found.

I tend to agree with Rob. I like the analogy, too. I dislike scans against
my network. Granted, many of them are not directed at me, per se, but still.
When the scanner has compiled a list of machines from an entire subnet for
the person to return to, that leads me to believe that they have something
less than honest in mind.

Dave
This is MY signature! But I'll sell you a
runtime license if you want to use it.  ;-)