[PLUG] unable to mount ext3 file system

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Fri Aug 29 22:19:02 UTC 2003

> On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 21:48, Josh Orchard wrote:
>> thank you.  that worked.  odd to me though.  I didn't have to in the fstab.  Would
>> you now why?
>>
>> josh
>>

>> > I think you might need to specify a partition number, e.g.
>> >
>> >     # mount /dev/hdh1 /mnt/point
>> >

> Can you post /etc/fstab here so we can see it????

The entry in my fstab is:

/dev/hdg      /newdisk/disk1   ext3   defaults   1 1

It gets more strange to me.  On the new Maxtor HD's I can do the above but the old
IBM Drives I need to specify the partition when I mount.

It works just seems odd to me.  Maybe someone can explain.  I'd give you the details
of the HD's if you think that makes a difference.  But I'm doing the mount commands
as follows to get it to work:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdg /newdisk/disk1

and

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdf1 /olddisk/disk1

Would like to understand it but the good news is the files are being copied.  :-)

Josh