[PLUG] unable to mount ext3 file system

Marvin J. Kosmal lamsokvr at xprt.net
Fri Aug 29 22:53:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 22:18, Josh Orchard wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 21:48, Josh Orchard wrote:
> >> thank you.  that worked.  odd to me though.  I didn't have to in the fstab.  Would
> >> you now why?
> >>
> >> josh

> > Can you post /etc/fstab here so we can see it????
>
> The entry in my fstab is:
>
> /dev/hdg      /newdisk/disk1   ext3   defaults   1 1
>
> It gets more strange to me.  On the new Maxtor HD's I can do the above but the old
> IBM Drives I need to specify the partition when I mount.
>
> It works just seems odd to me.  Maybe someone can explain.  I'd give you the details
> of the HD's if you think that makes a difference.  But I'm doing the mount commands
> as follows to get it to work:
>
> mount -t ext3 /dev/hdg /newdisk/disk1
>
> and
>
> mount -t ext3 /dev/hdf1 /olddisk/disk1
>
> Would like to understand it but the good news is the files are being copied.  :-)
>
> Josh

This is strange...

Can you post your entire /etc/fstab???

Here is mine
mkosmal at farm-libranet:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
<pass>
/dev/hdb1  /               reiserfs defaults
0
/dev/hdb2  none            swap     sw                           0
0
/dev/hda1  none            swap     sw                           0
0
proc       /proc           proc     defaults                     0
0
/dev/fd0   /floppy         auto     defaults,user,noauto         0
0
/dev/hdd  /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,user,noauto,ro  0  0
/dev/hdc  /cdrom1  iso9660  defaults,user,noauto,ro  0  0

Notice all my <device> have a partation # except for cdroms.

I have never seen <device> as hdb......

Just my $0.02

HTH

--