[PLUG] How ethernet interfaces are created?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sat Aug 30 18:58:02 UTC 2003

Hi all-

I'm still working on getting my (PCMCIA) wireless networking card up and
running and have made a little bit of progress.

Cardmgr now properly recognizes the card and loads the proper modules.
However, now I don't get an interface out of it...

Since it all works properly with 2.4.21, I'm guessing the problem lies
not in the configuration, but rather in the driver.

So I ask - how are ethernet interfaces created?  Does the loading of a
module do the trick by itself, or is there a subsystem in there
somewhere that links up the interface (ie; eth0) with the driver?

Do any of y'all have a good understanding of this stuff?  I'd be
interested to hear how this works... or get a link to somewhere that
better explains it.  :-)

Rob