[PLUG] Strangeness under Internet Explorer...

Randall Hansen list at sonofhans.net
Sun Aug 31 21:31:02 UTC 2003

Thus spoke "Michael C. Robinson" <michael at goose.robinson-west.com>
( 31 Aug 2003 15:10:25 -0700 ):

> Wanting to improve the spacing, I looked up the character code for a
> space and discovered I needed to do &#20, decimal representation
> I think.

For your current layout you can easily change spacing between the
images by modifying the 'cellpadding' and 'cellspacing' attributes
your table tag.  It's not the ideal way, but works fine in nearly
every browser.

But what if you later want more space, or less?  You have to change
every instance.  What if you have a 100-page photo gallery?  Manually
adding non-breaking space characters to change layout doesn't scale
well, plus it's a little crufty.

> How does one know what works everywhere

Nothing works everywhere. :)  The next best thing is to create a
symantically-meaningful page in HTML, leave the presentation to
style sheets, and validate it at the W3C.  This is more effective than
you may imagine[1], and it's easy to start small.

Check this out:  http://sonofhans.net/michaelrobinson.html

It's a similar layout with a few easy tweaks and
simplifications.  It only took a few minutes thanks to a couple
regexs in Vim.  The source is commented and most of the style
properties are simple.

HTH