[PLUG] Recording Internet radio

barryb at actionnet.net barryb at actionnet.net
Mon Dec 1 16:22:19 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 05:10:06PM -0800, Holger Stephan wrote:
> I'd like to record an Internet radio broadcasting tomorrow night. Are
> there any good tools out there for that? I am a bit concerned about the
> file size, it is a 4 1/2 hour opera. It is not so much the hard disk
> space but will recording software handling such a big file?

A tool that I have found useful for generic broadcast recording is vsound
http://www.zorg.org/vsound/
The hard disk space taken will depend on what sample rate you record at.
4 1/2 hours of cd quality will be about 4 1/2 cd's worth of data so
roughly 2.5GB. Later you could compress it using your favorite codec
into a much smaller space or burn it on a cd. You could also record
at a lower sample rate, especially if the broadcast itself is not
being done at a high bit rate.

Bill Barry