[PLUG] iptables And /proc Control

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Mon Dec 1 18:15:02 UTC 2003

Quoth Aaron Burt, on Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:13:33 -0800:

> One could, but these directly control the behavior of the network
> stack rather than filtering stuff before it gets there.  So same
> effect but much different cause.

Okay, so netfilter works before the network stack.  Does that mean if I block pings with iptables, it's pointless to do it with /proc?

> Also, it means you can do a few basic things without loading
> netfilter.

What I'm wondering is, if I'm going to use netfilter, why bother with the /proc options?  They show up in most iptables sample scripts, so there must be a reason.

Thanks,

--Jason Van Cleve

--
In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?