[PLUG] no sound w/ devfs

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon Dec 1 19:40:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 10:23, Finn wrote:
> recently i have been having an issue with no sound under devfs.  The
> documentation for devfs has been no help, as everything appears to be
> configured correctly according to the examples.  KDE keeps saying /dev/dsp
> does not exist (and i can't find it either) Checked the kernel logs and devfs
> is starting properly and devfsd is running.  Also all the appropriate modules
> are loaded.  Anyone have a clue bat for this one?

Check out /dev/snd/ if you're using alsa, and /dev/sound/ no matter what
you're using.

With devfs, /dev/dsp is almost always a symlink to /dev/sound/dsp...

FWIW, it seems devfs is on its way out.  I gave it a shot here on my
laptop and have been sorely disappointed in it.  I see no advantages and
plenty of disadvantages.

Rob