[PLUG] Emergency boot disk creation

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 15:50:02 UTC 2003

--- Derek Loree <drl at drloree.com> wrote:
>That means that Mandrake put the boot loader into
> the
> > MBR, without asking anyone. Unfortunately, if you
> > dual-boot with Win XP, this is unacceptable. > >
Remember, I'm the dude with the Promise drive
> > controller. Neither Red Hat 8 nor 9 appears to
> work
> > with it properly, assigning drive device
> designations
> > such as hde and hdf.
>
> This is normal, the kernel has to be fed the option
> "ide=reverse" to
> change the behavior.

Getting into Mandrake in rescue mode, I put GRUB back
into the MBR and booted Mandrake normally. Then I made
the boot disk, overwrote the MBR again, and booted
Mandrake from a floppy.

I won't say "normally," because I've never seen such a
botched-up installation. Neither of the optical drives
is accessible, and it's the only Linux installation
I've ever performed to lack sound, though the modules
are there.

Perhaps that ide=reverse business has something to it.
Should I try, say, Red Hat again, assuming that
results will be satisfactory with the kernel
parameter?

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche