[PLUG] Backing up to DVD?

Daggett, Steve Steve.Daggett at fiserv.com
Tue Dec 2 17:36:01 UTC 2003

Aaron Burt:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:32:04PM -0800, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > Does anyone have recommendations on software for data
> backups to DVD under
> > Linux?
>
> mkisofs and cdrecord?  You can pipe one into the other.
>
> Hrm, there's gotta be a way to pipe output from tar through mkisofs to
> cdrecord such that you get a tar.gz file on the CD.  Methinks
> I'll have to give it a try...

  I think not...  I suspect mkisofs will want a directory structure to base
it's ISO image.  It would be possible to use tmpfs to create a scratch
directory to work from.  You can create a tmpfs filesystem with a simple
mount command.

mount tmpfs /mnt/tmpfs -t tmpfs

See:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs3.html