[PLUG] Backing up to DVD?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Dec 3 00:37:01 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron Burt <aaron at speakeasy.org> writes:

Matt> Does anyone have recommendations on software for data backups to
Matt> DVD under Linux?

Aaron> mkisofs and cdrecord?  You can pipe one into the other.

Aaron> Hrm, there's gotta be a way to pipe output from tar through
Aaron> mkisofs to cdrecord such that you get a tar.gz file on the CD.
Aaron> Methinks I'll have to give it a try...

Why bother with mkisofs?  Why not just write the tar bitstream
instead?  Of course, you won't be able to mount it like an iso9660
image, but you ought to be able to read the tarball from the device.
GNU tar (which I assume you are using) even has a capacity limit
option that might let you do multiple volume backups.  Not that I've
tried it, but what does blank media cost these days?  Worth a try.

seniorr at aracnet.com