[PLUG] DVD backups

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:16:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Keith Lofstrom keithl-at-kl-ic.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> As a devoted recent convert to rsync/dirvish backup, I could hijack this
> thread (disk to disk backup is *SO* much faster, cheaper, easier). But
> that would be rude ...

I don't think anyone would argue about the benefits of disk-to-disk
backups.  However, offline media has its place too.  If there were one
perfect solution for all applications the whole storage consulting
industry would collapse.  Not that this would be an entirely bad thing...
;-)

> I am curious whether there are DVD-R changers out there.  Most systems
> are much bigger than 4.7GB, and I've always found it painful to
> partition data to match the backup medium (lots of wasted space, lots of
> fumbling with tape M of N, etc.).  DVD-R drives run about $150-$250
> without changers;  the high cost of media and the labor-intensive
> changing of disks would tempt one to forgo frequent backups.

Try:

http://www.google.com/search?q=DVD-R+jukebox

Generally these are geared for the business archiving market and priced
accordingly.  ($8,000.00 or more)  If you're fretting the cost of media,
then these probably aren't a good choice.  ;-)

You'll also have the issue of compatibility with your backup server OS
and software since each jukebox uses its own proprietary command set for
moving media around.

> I understand Russell Senior will be telling us about using rsync for
> backups at the December advanced topics (Russell, email me about this!)
> and it might be worthwhile to learn about rsync and disk-to-disk before
> committing to the expense and bother of alternatives.

This might be a good warmup for the rsync talk:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

In this, Mike discusses how to use rsync and hard links to create some
really space-efficient incremental backups on disk.  Perfect for archiving
to DVD-R and putting away into that safe deposit box.  ;-)

  -- Steve