[PLUG] Backing up to DVD?

Chris Jantzen chris-plug at maybe.net
Wed Dec 3 18:00:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:15:20PM -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > The only "modern" FS. ext2 does this, too, but it has none of the
> > features we all seem to be looking for. :-) Plus I don't *think* you can
> > back up ACL's easily. But I haven't tried, so don't take my word for it.
>
> Many flavors of dump allow you to exclude files. None that I know of have
> the ability to exclude ACLs or permissions from dumps. You don't need to
> tell dump to backup ACLs, you get them and any other filesystem-specific
> extras archived no matter what.

How can you say this *and* say that restore isn't fs-specific (prior
msg)? What if I archive an ext2 system with ACL and restore to XFS with
totally different ACL structures? Or what if I restore sensitive data,
unwittingly, to a filesystem that doesn't support ACL's at all and the
file is readable by the wrong people?

--
chris kb7rnl =->