[PLUG] 2-way exchanges with ssh and scp

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Wed Dec 3 18:12:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 05:29:11PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I can use scp to copy files from my main workstation/server to the
> laptops, but not the other direction.
>
>   From the laptop, when I try 'scp salmo:<filename> .' I see:
> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host.

It looks like this is most often caused by an overly strict
/etc/hosts.deny

I am a bit confuse, you can copy from your workstation to your laptop,
or you can copy from the laptop to the server?

"scp salmo:<filename> ."

will copy <filename> from salmo to the local box (even if salmo is the
local box), so I'm assuming the server is salmo---although that might
be part of your problem, a confounded command line.  I'll call the
laptop "laptop".

Also note that you can use scp to copy to a remote host, or from a
remote host, which is different from invoking scp from one host, or
invoking it from another host.

>   So, do I need to make changes to /etc/ssh/ssh_config or
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config? And, on which machine? I've managed to get myself
> quite confused here at what needs to be set where for 2-way communications.

You probably need to change /etc/ssh/sshd_config on salmo.

This trick to reverse-ssh should also work (posted on here a while back):

# on salmo do this:
ssh -f -N laptop -R22000:localhost:22

#now, on laptop you can do this:

scp -p 22000 localhost:<filename> .

which will copy the file from _salmo_ to the laptop (despite the
localhost in the command line---the first command sets up a tunnel
from laptop:22000 to salmo:22).

-Rogan