[PLUG] Backing up to DVD?

Chris Jantzen chris-plug at maybe.net
Wed Dec 3 18:13:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:44:46PM -0500, Don Buchholz wrote:
> Dan Haskell wrote:
>
> >Linus: "Dump was a stupid program in the first place. Leave it behind."
> >

> ... and I suspect Linus has never had a job that involved helping someone
> restore a "missing file .... somewhere on the xxxx file share ... last week,
> I think".  Being able to load a tape, and then sit down with the user while
> we browse for the missing entity has been a God-send.  (I've even had a
> couple of instances where after it was found on tape, we go back to the
> server and lo-and-behold, there it is!  ... in a folder that wasn't
> searched in
> the first place.)

Although, even better: Tell the client to just use their desktop machine
to search with a GUI for the file in question and select any of several
different incremental versions available either in online, near-line, or
archival storage from your IBM ADSM/TSM backup server.

But, admittedly, this costs a lot more. :-)

--
chris kb7rnl =->