[PLUG] Issues relating to the PLUG mailing lists

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Thu Dec 4 00:11:02 UTC 2003

Quoth Russell Senior, on 03 Dec 2003 23:04:54 -0800:

> Jason> Incidentally, I've been wondering, what does your sig' mean?
> Jason> Do you actually have nine fingers, or is that a metaphor?
>
> I actually have almost no idea what it means (so if you have any
> guesses please let me know), but if you want to find out where I got
> it, then google-as-a-phrase should tell you.

The first hit suggests it is a Hindu saying, quoted in "A Short Walk in
the Hindu Kush", by Eric Newby.  Still doesn't explain its meaning,
though.  Very mysterious.

The third hit is a post of yours on the r-help mailing list (you're
famous!), but the fifth reminded me that Frodo Baggins lost a finger at
Mordor in "Lord Of the Rings".  But I don't think your exact sig'
appears there.

I think it's a metaphor after all.  We may not all be perfect, but we're
all the same, or something like that. . . .

> However, in context, not knowing what it means hasn't really
> diminished its humor value for me.

Granted, it is a pleasant absurdity.

--Jason Van Cleve

--
I finally beat the Internet.  The end guy is hard.