[PLUG] NFS write performance?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 4 01:14:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Jantzen <chris-plug at maybe.net> writes:

Russell> What kind of NFS(v3) write performance should I expect over a
Russell> 100 Mbit ethernet?  I'll stipulate that the server is a
Russell> PII-400 x 2cpu, client is faster.

Chris> First of all, thanks for making me get off my ass and finish
Chris> LDAP/KRB5 integration on my client box so I could test all this
Chris> for you. ;-)

No problem!

Chris> Write performance can vary for a number of
Chris> parameters. [...]

Hmm.  I am evidently doing something wrong.  I get an order of
magnitude better write performance from an scp compared to a write
over an nfs mount.  I am just looking at "blocks out" from a "vmstat
1" running on the server.  I see, roughly, 300-400 with NFS and and
about 4000 from an scp.  I am not sure if those are 1k blocks or 4k or
something else, but the order of magnitude stands out pretty clearly.

seniorr at aracnet.com