[PLUG] NFS write performance?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 4 01:37:01 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Jantzen <chris-plug at maybe.net> writes:

Russell> Hmm.  I am evidently doing something wrong.  I get an order
Russell> of magnitude better write performance from an scp compared to
Russell> a write over an nfs mount.  I am just looking at "blocks out"
Russell> from a "vmstat 1" running on the server.  I see, roughly,
Russell> 300-400 with NFS and and about 4000 from an scp.  I am not
Russell> sure if those are 1k blocks or 4k or something else, but the
Russell> order of magnitude stands out pretty clearly.

Chris> That *is* pretty odd.

Chris> Hmmmm...

Chris> Well, what options are you using to mount? And what options in
Chris> /etc/exports?

mount options are: rw,sync,hard,intr,addr=192.168.0.55
/etc/exports options are: rw,sync

The server is running a 2.6.0-test11 kernel, the clients are mixed
2.4.2x and 2.6.0-test11.

seniorr at aracnet.com