[PLUG] OT:Intenet connection speed

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Thu Dec 4 09:10:02 UTC 2003

* Russell Evans <russell-evans at qwest.net> [031204 08:16]:

> Try bing http://www.cnam.fr/reseau/bing.html
>
> Bing will allow you to measure bandwidth by hop. Pick a host, do a
> traceroute to it , and then use bing on the hops along the way. I like
> to use large and small packets.
>
> bing -s 64 -S 1024 localhost gateway
> bing -s 64 -S 1024 localhost nexthop

I'm not familiar with what bing does, but remember when using a tool
like bing or mtr or even traceroute, that responding back with the icmp
ttl expired messages for traceroute or icmp echo replies for pings is
about last on the list of priorities for a router. You may get what look
like slow hops in the middle when your end to end latency is still fine.

--Stafford