[PLUG] OT:Intenet connection speed

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Dec 4 09:27:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Russell Evans wrote:

> Try bing http://www.cnam.fr/reseau/bing.html
>
> Bing will allow you to measure bandwidth by hop. Pick a host, do a
> traceroute to it , and then use bing on the hops along the way. I like
> to use large and small packets.

Interesting concept.

> bing -s 64 -S 1024 localhost gateway
> bing -s 64 -S 1024 localhost nexthop

Problem is from the above page the download site doesn't exist.  With a
swift whack of a clue stick I searched on rpmfind and got it.

For S&G I ran it against a host I admin and got some interesting results
that didn't have anything to do with the time.  I got several messages
like this

	bing: packet (92 bytes) from unexpected host 66.190.251.135

which interestingly enough reverses back to

	ts46-04-qdr901.mdfrd.or.charter.com.

There were many other IPs.

> This will help you understand where bandwidth issues really are. No
> point beating up your ISP if the issue is upstream from them or in your
> own network.

I have a bit more reading to do but can any network experts on the list
explain what this is?

Cheers,
Rod