[PLUG] ssh picking up the incorrect IP address

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Dec 4 15:52:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   However, whenever I try to use ssh or scp (to move necessary
> applications from another box on the network), the tool tries to
> connect to my external IP address, not the internal network address.
> Of course, it keeps failing.

Didn't you used to push an /etc/hosts file around your network that
contained all your local hostnames and addresses?

Also, make sure that your system looks to files before DNS for name
resolution. You'll want to see a line like this in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

hosts:  files dns

(There may be other stuff after 'dns'; that's ok.)

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>