[PLUG] ssh picking up the incorrect IP address

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 4 15:59:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> If I use 'ssh 192.168.55.1' I connect. If I
Rich> use the hostname (i.e., 'ssh salmo') with verbose mode turned
Rich> on, I see that ssh (or scp) is assigning the IP address
Rich> 216.99.206.23 to salmo rather than the non-routable
Rich> address. Where could it be picking up this address? I have not
Rich> configured anything on this portable with that address for it's
Rich> supposed to be only on the external interface of the
Rich> router/firewall.

Uh I haven't read your report carefully, but ... be sure to check
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf.  See what "host salmo" tells you.
Also ssh -v might give some clues (though it can be difficult to
figure out which side is saying what).

Sometimes I've had to hand hack .ssh/known_hosts to get the behavior I
wanted.

seniorr at aracnet.com