[PLUG] Backing up to DVD?

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Dec 4 17:04:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 22:14, Steve Bonds wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Chris Jantzen chris-plug-at-maybe.net |PDX Linux| wrote:
>
> > > Many flavors of dump allow you to exclude files. None that I know of
> > > have the ability to exclude ACLs or permissions from dumps. You don't
> > > need to tell dump to backup ACLs, you get them and any other
> > > filesystem-specific extras archived no matter what.
> >
> > How can you say this *and* say that restore isn't fs-specific (prior
> > msg)? What if I archive an ext2 system with ACL and restore to XFS with
> > totally different ACL structures? Or what if I restore sensitive data,
> > unwittingly, to a filesystem that doesn't support ACL's at all and the
> > file is readable by the wrong people?
>
> This is why ACLs will continue to suck until we get a unified and
> consistent standard.  ;-)  Since UNIX treats everything as a stream of
> bytes and ACLs lie outside that stream, unless each and every program
> supports the particular ACL implementation for the filesystem in use
> something as simple as making a copy or compressing a file will destroy
> the ACLs.
>
> If using ACLs it's important to be fail-safe so that if the ACLs are
> removed, less access is given rather than more.
>
> The dump/restore in use on Linux doesn't support ACLs, though it *is* kind
> enough to warn you if it detects that you have them on a particular inode.

Another issue in backing up to DVDs is that most DVD file systems do not
deal well with file names with weird characters (such as umlauts) or
long filenames.  (Some have problems at 32 characters, some go to 64.)

The only way to get around it is to tar the file system first, and that
has other issues.

--

"If we can't compete with some guy sneaking a camera into the theater,
or a blurry, encoded, postage stamp-sized file, then please -- just