[PLUG] Backing up to DVD?

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Dec 4 17:13:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 00:36, Russell Senior wrote:

> Matt> Does anyone have recommendations on software for data backups to
> Matt> DVD under Linux?
>
> Aaron> mkisofs and cdrecord?  You can pipe one into the other.
>
> Aaron> Hrm, there's gotta be a way to pipe output from tar through
> Aaron> mkisofs to cdrecord such that you get a tar.gz file on the CD.
> Aaron> Methinks I'll have to give it a try...
>
> Why bother with mkisofs?  Why not just write the tar bitstream
> instead?  Of course, you won't be able to mount it like an iso9660
> image, but you ought to be able to read the tarball from the device.
> GNU tar (which I assume you are using) even has a capacity limit
> option that might let you do multiple volume backups.  Not that I've
> tried it, but what does blank media cost these days?  Worth a try.

Blank media is still not very cheap for DVD.  (About $2 in bulk for
anything good.)

The big question is reading it off after you are done.

Actually trying this with a DVD-RW would be better since if it does not
work, you can erase it.

BTW, Maxell media is not recommended.  I have had a lot of problems with
it.  (The only thing they make that works reliably is their black
CD-Rs.)

Imation works great.  Verbatum has been good. I have not tried the
Memorex media yet.  I have a stack of 50 here waiting to run out of the
other stuff.

--

"If we can't compete with some guy sneaking a camera into the theater,
or a blurry, encoded, postage stamp-sized file, then please -- just