[PLUG] Optical Media (was Backing up to DVD?)

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Dec 4 17:54:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Alan alan-at-clueserver.org |PDX Linux| wrote:

> BTW, Maxell media is not recommended.  I have had a lot of problems with
> it.  (The only thing they make that works reliably is their black
> CD-Rs.)
>
> Imation works great.  Verbatum has been good. I have not tried the
> Memorex media yet.  I have a stack of 50 here waiting to run out of the
> other stuff.

I've used Imation CD-R media for years with excellent results.  I
especially liked the thick plastic coating on the back protecting the
fragile foil.

Lately, though, I've been disappointed.  The thick plastic coating now
only covers "most" of the back, with huge sections spelling "Imation" left
uncoated.  I've also noticed an unacceptably high level of "grown defects"
that only appear after a few weeks of abuse.

I've recently seen Imation's "Business Select" media.  It costs more, but
I'm hopeful that it might be more durable.  Has anyone used this?

  -- Steve