[PLUG] Re: Chess, Anyone?

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Fri Dec 5 12:22:02 UTC 2003

Quoth Keith Morse, on Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:27:56 -0800 (PST):

> Apologies if this is too simplistic, but I thought this is what
> ld.so.conf and ldconfig were for.

I believe so, but that was handled by gentoo when I installed gtkglarea
(version 1.99.0), which actually appears as libgtkgl* in /usr/lib (ain't
sure why we can't name things consistently).  It could be "Cannot find
gtkglarea" really just means there's no "gtk_gl_area_make_current in
-lgtkgl".

Anyway, I think it's all useless.  After scouring the glchess-devel
list, this seems to be a bug in glchess, which is apparently an
"orphaned" project.  Probably just hasn't been updated for later
versions of gtkgl(area).  But I can't figure out where to download an
older version.

So I'm basically right back where I started.  Seems wrong that there
still isn't a good GL chess interface for linux.  I was able to run
cinag (Chess Is Not A Game), but it's a bit hackish and incomplete.
Apparently Apple is shipping their own, souped-up version of glchess for
the Mac.  I wonder if that could be ported back to linux.

--Jason Van Cleve

--
I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds.  I hold them
above globes.  They freak out and yell, "Whoa, I'm way too high!"