[PLUG] Blocking Banner Ads Cheaply

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Fri Dec 5 13:19:02 UTC 2003

So I'm on dial-up and want to block banner ads, but I don't want to do
anything too fancy, like using squid.  I know there is a solution using
bind, which I have on my system but am not actually running.  But it
appears I can also do it just by adding entries in /etc/hosts.

Which is preferable?  It would be nice to redirect ad' domains to my
local httpd and serve myself a gif image instead of the broken image
icon.

And by the way, can anyone post a list of undesirable domains, as a
starting point?

Muchas thanks,

--Jason Van Cleve

--