[PLUG] Moving a user from workstation to portable

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Fri Dec 5 23:08:02 UTC 2003

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   On the laptop, connected to the network, what do I need to do so she can
> collect mail from the server when she wants it? This is new territory for me
> so expect some questions. :-)

I setup an IMAP server on my workstation to do exactly that for me.  Now
both my laptop and my desktop can read the same mail; my laptop uses a
world-reachable ip address to read the email from (over IMAPS) so it
even works when outside of my own network.  I filter "server side" with
procmail rather than with the filtering capability of my email clients;
I didn't know if two connected clients would "fight" over filtering, or
if I'd have to always leave the filtering one running.

At first I used the UW IMAP server - which I quickly realized sucks; my
flow of spam kept the IMAP server busy enough to keep my system load at
2+ 24/7 all while being VERY unresponsive.  I recently switched to the
Courier IMAP server and maildirs now my system load is back down to a
reasonable 0.1.

--Brent